Year 6 Transition
Year 7 is a very special year for the young people who join us. It marks the move from a relatively small school to a much larger one. Their new environment is quite different from their earlier one but there is one thing their old and new school have in common... supporting their personal development and their enjoyment for and success in learning.
- Our purpose is to make their first year an enjoyable and positive experience. This then prepares them for the years ahead as they 'go on' to achieve more and more success.
- Our Transition activities involve a range of experiences and very effective liaison with our feeder schools.
- The activities begin in Year 4 when pupils visit Rushcliffe School and take part in Science, Maths and English events.
- In Year 5, pupils from our feeder schools visit us again to take part in the Year 5 'Bright Day' which is organised by the Science department.
- Their Head of Year 7 will also visit schools giving assemblies and continue to set the scene for 'life at Rushcliffe School'. They will liaise with Year 6 teachers to ensure we are prepared to meet the needs of all individual students joining us in September.
Year 6 Induction Day
This annual event comprises a day at school for pupils and an evening presentation for parents. Year 6 pupils start the day feeling nervous and excited and finish feeling reassured that everything will be fine in Year 7 at Rushcliffe.
They meet their Head of Year and Form Tutor and enjoy the challenge of a series of typical lessons. In the evening parents find out more about activities on offer, uniform requirements, day to day issues and the role of the Pastoral Guidance programme and Pupil Support Unit. They also get the opportunity to meet their child's form tutor and begin to form a positive relationship.
New Year 7 pupils will receive an invitation letter and pack by the end of May. Please contact the school if you have not received yours by then.
These support parents as they choose an appropriate secondary school for their children. We offer:
- An open evening at the beginning of year 6.
- An induction evening for those parents who have chosen Rushcliffe School in the Summer term of year 6.
Parents are always welcome to phone the school to obtain information.